The nomination process for IIPC Steering Committee is now open.
The Steering Committee is the executive body of the IIPC, currently comprising 15 member organisations, that take a leadership role in the high-level strategic planning, development and management of programs, policy creation, overall administration, and contribution to IIPC Portfolios and other activities.
In the last election three new members joined the Steering Committee: the National Library of Finland, Bibliotheca Alexandrina and Columbia University Libraries. Library and Archives Canada and the National Library of Spain were re-elected for another term.
Please note that the nomination should be on behalf of an organisation, not an individual. Once elected, the member organisation designates a representative to serve on the Steering Committee. The list of current SC member organisations and their representatives is available on the IIPC website.
What is at stake?
Serving on the Steering Committee is an opportunity for motivated members to help guide the IIPC’s mission of improving the tools, standards and best practices of web archiving while promoting international collaboration and the broad access and use of web archives for research and cultural heritage. Steering Committee members are expected to take an active role in leadership, contribute to SC and Portfolio activities, and help guide and administer the organisation.
Who can run for election?
Serving on the Steering Committee is open to any current IIPC member and we strongly encourage any organisation interested in serving on the Steering Committee to nominate themselves for election. SC members are elected for 3 years and meet twice a year in person, once during the General Assembly, once in September and two or more additional times by teleconference.
How to run for election?
All nominee institutions, both new and existing members whose term is expiring but are interested in continuing to serve, are asked to write a short statement (max 200 words) outlining their vision for how they would contribute to IIPC via serving on the Steering Committee. Statements can point to past contributions to the IIPC or the SC, relevant experience or expertise, new ideas for advancing the organisation, or any other relevant information.
All statements will be posted online and emailed to members prior to the election with ample time for review by all membership. The results will be announced in mid-May and the three-year term on the Steering Committee will start on 1 June.
Below you will find the election calendar. We are very much looking forward receiving your nominations. If you have any questions, please contact the IIPC PCO.
- 1 December to 25 March: Members are invited to nominate themselves by sending an email including a statement to the IIPC Programme and Communications Officer.
- 4 April: Nominees statements are published on the Netpreserve Blog and Members mailing list. Nominees are encouraged to campaign through their own networks.
- 11 April to 11 May: Members are invited to vote online. An online voting tool will be used to conduct the vote. The PCO will monitor the vote, ensuring that each organisation votes only once for all nominated seats and that the vote is cast by the organisation’s official representative. People will be encouraged to cast their vote before, during, and after the GA.
- 11 May: Voting ends.
- 15 May: The results of the vote are announced officially on the Netpreserve blog and Members mailing list.
- 1 June: end/start of SC members terms. The newly elected SC members start their term on the 1st of June and are invited to attend a first meeting (by teleconference) by the end of June. The next face to face SC meeting will take place in Wellington in November 2018.